What you need:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 5 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup Mod Squad Martha Chive Jive Vinaigrette
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, grated
- 1 pound Cavatelli pasta, cooked
- 1/4 cup minced chives, divided
- 1 large soft pretzel, torn into large pieces
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a wide, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the butter and let melt.
- Whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking frequently, until the flour begins to smell nutty, making a blonde roux.
- Add the warm milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Cook until the bechamel has thickened and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in the mustard, Vinaigrette and half the cheese, making a cheese sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and half the chives to the hot cheese sauce and combine. Pour the mixture in a large baking dish.
- Place the bread crumbs and pretzel in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss together and season with salt and pepper.
- Top the pasta mixture with the bread crumbs and bake until browned on top and bubbly in the middle. Sprinkle with the rest of the chives to serve.
Serves 8-10 people //Photography by Plateful Solutions